Sunday, August 5, 2012

#11 Easy BBQ Ribs in the slow cooker!

I'm batting 1000 on these recipes. This one though...made me speechless. That's a hard feat I know, but true. So amazing. My husband actually called them, "Phenomenal!"

Ingredients:
1.5 tbsp sweet paprika (3tbsp) (Edited Feb '12 to say I've also used mild smoked paprika with fantastic results)
1 tbsp light brown sugar, lightly packed (2 tbsp)
1/8 tsp cayenne pepper (1/4 tsp)
S&P to taste (about 1 tsp each is what I used)
2 lbs pork (baby) back ribs (6 lbs) - leave the membrane on the ribs to help hold them together
1 cup barbecue sauce (3 cups)
Vegetable oil spray
 
So the creator halved her recipe to accommodate only 2 lbs of ribs. My rack was about 3 1/4 lbs, so I used the full seasoning, and about 2 cups of BBQ sauce. I used Sweet Baby Rays BBQ sauce. I've been a fan since the BBQ hamburgers I made. 

I do have to say that the best invention since sliced bread are crock pot liner bags! Makes clean up sooooo much easier!

I placed the ribs meat side out and down to the outside of the pot as instructed, after seasoning of course.

I found that 6 hours was perfect because the meat still held together somewhat making them easier to handle.

Now the critcal step you can not overlook because it takes them from "ordinary to extrodinary" is reducing the juice and broiling. I have never reduced anything in my life, or at least not intentionally.
 
Super easy though. When I took the ribs out, I laid them meat down on a foil lined broiler pan, then I took the juice from the pot and boiled it for about 10 minutes. That evaporates some of the water and thickens it. I then used that to baste the ribs a couple of times while I had them under the broiler. After a few minutes I took them out and flipped them over repeating the process on the meat side. This made them their glorious color, also giving them a little sauce action without making them drip all over everything!

They turned out absolutely perfect!!! My slab was a little longer than my serving dish, but they were so beautiful all laid out.


 Tip: When turning on the crock pot, make sure it is plugged in. Otherwise you could be eating at 8pm because you realize 2 hours into the cooking process that no cooking was actually being accomplished.


Recipe: Easy Barbeque Ribs

No comments:

Post a Comment